Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Country Music? Really?



Remember back in the 90's and the early years of the new millennium when everyone seemed to despise country music? Not everyone will agree with this, but I distinctly remember being in middle school and the standard answer to the question: "What's your favourite kind of music?" was overwhelmingly "Anything but country."

I always found this is kind of boring and, for the most part, pretty inaccurate (are you really telling me that you couldn't stand a little Johnny Cash but you would be ALL FOR some smooth polka tunes? debatable). That's why I've been really enjoying the more recent popularity of alt-country and country music.

But where-o-where can you find a place to dance it up to these twangy, honky-tonk tunes? Look no further than the Dakota Tavern at Dundas and Ossington. The unpretentious vibe makes for good times all around.


View Larger Map

I was there on Sunday and enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere. The Beauties played a great set that had people dancing. You could also just stand and enjoy or even sit and chat - anything goes. The place feels like you're in a 1970's finished basement with wood paneled walls and country-style knick knacks which only add to its charm.

Anything goes for what you wear too. People were in plaid, dresses, jeans and t-shirts. There's no reason to be intimidated or think you won't fit in. A lack of cowboy boots in your wardrobe should not prevent you from giving it a try.

I recommend going out to the Dakota if you're looking to dance and have a good time but you're not into the Entertainment District - or if you just want to try something new. Sundays are a great night there. Good crowd, good music, good times.

That's all for now,
Shelley x x

6 comments:

  1. I love country music! You need a country partner I'm your girl. I used to spend every Saturday night at Nashville North from the age of 18 (yup, I was a faker) up until about 25. It's West 7 now, haven't been back but I'd be willing to give it a try...wanna join?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can definitely admit to saying 'anything but country' in elementary school...haha. and i eat my words :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you and Kim....always used "anything but country" as my answer!!!!!
    But I do want to give the places your recommend a try, seems like a good night out!!
    let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you posted this! I've lived in the city for five years now and haven't found anything like this.I'm with Michelle except I used to be a huge fan of the Ranch in Guelph and I miss having a little country in my life in Toronto. I'm definitely going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do I sense an outing in the works?? yessss!! let's do it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't wait to respond to this blog post. Country music is a favourite of mine. So is the Dakota. I've been many times and enjoyed myself without fail.

    The vibe of the bar is so intriguing, who wouldn't want to go in? I love the wagon wheels and longhorn skulls that decorate the space. Once my roommate met Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo in line. You know it's a good spot when celebrities wait in line to get in! In fact, a bouncer told me once that the Kings of Leon tried to skip the line and he said no.

    Go early if it's a Friday or Saturday night.

    If you liked the Dakota on a Sunday night, you might also like their mornings too. They have a great Bluegrass Brunch.

    ReplyDelete